Safeguarding Children in Sport
It is an absolute right that children and young people are safe whilst participating in sport in West Yorkshire.
West Yorkshire Sport is committed to promoting the safety and welfare of children and young people engaged in sporting activities locally. It aims to contribute to safeguarding children and young people by:
- Meeting the requirements of the Standards for Safeguarding and Protecting Children in Sport (CPSU 2002)
- Implementing and demonstrating best safeguarding practice when core staff, volunteers or others are providing services, activities and programmes for children and young people
- Working with partners to establish and implement agreed, consistent minimum safeguarding standards for sports activities locally
- Requiring those individuals or organisations that are funded or commissioned to provide any services for children and young people to effectively address safeguarding requirements
- Maximising its influence to promote safeguarding practice and principles within its wider partnership roles and relationships
If your club or organisation would like to incorporate Criminal Records Bureau checks into their recruitment process as part of your plans to help safeguard children, CRB have a search facility which will help you find an 'Umbrella Body' (a body authorised to process Disclosure checks) in your area who can do this for you. Click here to search for an Umbrella Body.
WY Sport and other partners run sports coach UK's Safeguarding and Protecting Children course and the Safeguarding 2: Reflecting on Practice course which are the recommended courses for coaches and volunteers involved in sport. For details of courses available visit our Coach Education Calendar.