It is an absolute right that children, young people and vulnerable adults are safe whilst participating in sport in West Yorkshire.
Safeguarding in Sport
West Yorkshire Sport is committed to promoting the safety and welfare of children and young people and vulnerable adults engaged in sporting activities locally. It aims to contribute to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable adults by:
- Committing to the Child Protection in Sport Unit’s Safeguarding Framework.
- Implementing and demonstrating best safeguarding practice when core staff, volunteers or others are providing services, activities and programmes for children and young people
- Working with partners to establish and implement agreed, consistent minimum safeguarding standards for sports activities locally
- Supporting those working in sport by giving them knowledge, guidance and raising awareness of what they need to do to protect these vulnerable groups and minimise avoidable risks.
- Requiring those individuals or organisations that are funded or commissioned to provide any services for children and young people to effectively address safeguarding requirements
- Maximising its influence to promote safeguarding practice and principles within its wider partnership roles and relationships
If your club or organisation would like to incorporate criminal record checks through the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) into their recruitment process as part of your plans to help safeguard children, DBS have a search facility which will help you find an ‘Umbrella Body’ (a body authorised to process Disclosure checks) in your area who can do this for you. Click here to search for an Umbrella Body.
WY Sport and other partners run the following sports coach UK courses:
Safeguarding and Protecting Children, Safeguarding 2: Reflecting on Practice, Safeguarding and Protecting Children (ages 16 – 18), and Keeping Safe in Sport (ages 13+) which are the recommended courses for coaches and volunteers involved in sport. For details of courses available visit our Coach Education Calendar.